Monday, October 23, 2006
Over-due post on Gates
Henry Louis Gates was amazing to hear speak and was definitely worth the wait. I felt so honored and inspired after hearing what he had to say. He addressed so many things in such a short period of time that I just let his words wash over me as I listened to him talk about history, his works, and education.
I was very impressed by how well Gates knew his history. (I'm a history minor and I don't even know it that well yet) The way he started with W.E.B. DuBois and his quest for education got me thinking on the education track. Now there was a man who had a thirst for knowledge! And the way Gates told DeBois' story felt rooted to me in one theme: knowledge and education.
This idea was thread throughout Gates lecture. When he talked about his latest project, the Encyclopedia Africana you could just feel for him on his bumps along the way to producing such a great educational tool. It wouls be amaping to be able to utilize that kind of resource to bring minority literature and authors into the classroom. Although Gates hit yet another bump in the road of Encyclopedia Africana, because he could not get the software working, he still described it so anyone familiar with the medium could envision W.E.B. DeBois' vision.
To wrap up the lecture, Gates took questions from the croud. Some of these related to his other work, some related to education. The way he addressed the questions regarding educaiton was inspiring. He placed such an emphasis on it and that education was your tool.
Gates was a captivating public speaker and I enjoyed every minute of his lecture (and so did my boyfriend and the lecture wasn't related to his field at all!). Leaving the lecture inspired and conversing over what was said was a great feeling. I'm definitely think I made a good choice in hearing Gates speak, and was very lucky and greatful that he was able to make it.
I was very impressed by how well Gates knew his history. (I'm a history minor and I don't even know it that well yet) The way he started with W.E.B. DuBois and his quest for education got me thinking on the education track. Now there was a man who had a thirst for knowledge! And the way Gates told DeBois' story felt rooted to me in one theme: knowledge and education.
This idea was thread throughout Gates lecture. When he talked about his latest project, the Encyclopedia Africana you could just feel for him on his bumps along the way to producing such a great educational tool. It wouls be amaping to be able to utilize that kind of resource to bring minority literature and authors into the classroom. Although Gates hit yet another bump in the road of Encyclopedia Africana, because he could not get the software working, he still described it so anyone familiar with the medium could envision W.E.B. DeBois' vision.
To wrap up the lecture, Gates took questions from the croud. Some of these related to his other work, some related to education. The way he addressed the questions regarding educaiton was inspiring. He placed such an emphasis on it and that education was your tool.
Gates was a captivating public speaker and I enjoyed every minute of his lecture (and so did my boyfriend and the lecture wasn't related to his field at all!). Leaving the lecture inspired and conversing over what was said was a great feeling. I'm definitely think I made a good choice in hearing Gates speak, and was very lucky and greatful that he was able to make it.